Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Show up or get shown up



It's win or go home time in Europe's top football competition, so let us cut to the chase and get to the sure-fire analysis.

I like PSV in a big way over Bordeaux. This is probably my lock of the day.

Liverpool only need a tie to secure top place in thier group, but they get the win instead, beating Galatasaray 1-nil.

Spartak Moscow is dreadful away from their synthetic frozen pitch back home, and they get it handed to them at Sporting Lisbon.

Valencia at Roma will be a good contest, but Roma need the win to secure the knockout round and Valencia's already through...got to give the nod to the more desperate club here, Roma 2-1.

Shakhtar Donetsk at Olympiakos is my rubber-bullet special of the day. I think they're actually handing out comlimentary body armour and gas masks for the first 5000 supporters. Olympiakos has nothing really to play for whereas Shakhtar has a chance of survival with a win and a Roma loss, but they don't get te result here. Shakhtar and Olypiakos play out to draw, and after the game supporters from both sides will get shanked in the achilles and likely assaulted with tear gas in the streets of Athens.

Internazionale at Bayern will be the match of the day, regardless of what people are saying at the Nou Camp. Both of these squads have been playing their best football of the season and now meet to decide who wins group B. As much as both of these teams want a result, I don't see it happening. Draw along the lines of Lyon at Madrid last matchday...something wild like 2-2.

Chelsea will probably not field a first-team squad but still name the score against a dreadful Levski Sofia squad. Chelsea wins 3-nil.

Finally we come to Barca hosting Werder Bremen, the ESPN2 featured match of the day. I've like Barcelona to win this competition from the outset but they really haven't impressed during the group stage. If they do manage to pull off this win, it's going to be an absolute battle for 90 minutes. From what I've seen of this squad, and given there's no Messi and Eto'o, I can't feel good about Barca's chances. Yet somehow I can't stay away. Give me Barca 2-1 over Werder, which I'll acknowledge up front is a decision made with my heart and not my head. I do, however, feel good about this game going over the 2.5 goal mark. That 2-1 scoreline is going to win this match for someone, I'm just hoping it's the boys in blue.

Enjoy the matches and come back tomorrow for more knowledge.

No comments: