Wednesday, November 22, 2006

CHAMPIONS LEAGUE SELECTIONS

I overslept so no official selection for the Spartak Moscow hosting Bayern Munchen match, but I will say that it was my 'rubber bullet game of the day', which, as all you longtime readers know, is the one european football match every day that I predict will end up with body armor and mustard gas and, since we're already in Russia, why not a few Molotov Cocktail's for good measure. On with the offical selections:


Chelsea and Werder Bremen play out a nil-nil draw. Chelsea have got their sights set on this Saturday's clash with top-of-the-table ManU and I think could care less about this match having already assured themselves the round of 16.

Barcelona puts on a clinic in an absolute must win at home against Levski Sofia

Inter hosting Sporting is going to be the game of the day. Sporting is a tough tough out, and Inter are going to have their hands full if they want to win this game and have a shot going into the group finale against Bayern. I still like Inter here but I'm starting to lean a lot more towards a draw. I'll make it official with Inter but I'm telling you this is going to be a lot close than the experts predict.

Bordeaux (yawn) gets by Galatasawhogives a shit 1-nil

Liverpool hosting PSV is another one I'm just not real confident about. My official selection will be Liverpool but PSV is playing some top-flight football in the Dutch league, and I know what you're saying: 'great, it's still the Dutch league' and that's a valid point but they're just playing the schedule in front of them and have been dominating teams of late. They beat Ajax in Amsterdam last week to cement their grip as the class of the league, and Liverpool had better bring their a game, and by that I mean Gerrard.

Valencia will sqeeze past Olympiakos, 2-1

Lastly, Roma goes on the road and takes Shakhtar Donetsk out of their misery 1-0. This game is going to be in a tough environment in Ukraine, not too far up the road from Borat, but I think Roma's ULTRAS fans are more than capable of holding their own, judging by the stories I've read about Italy's most notorius football fans.

Which reminds me...over the holiday and you're looking for something good to read? Check out a great book on football and the fascinating culture of hooliganism. Enjoy.

1 comment: